Arts & Elbows

A catalogue of commentary on events in Thanet and occassionally the rest of the world.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Banks for the Info

Most would agree that data protection and confidentiality is a serious matter, so when I opened an envelope from TDC and found a direct debit form packed with someone else's details I made the grand mistake of phoning them to tell them an error had been made.
Despite asking to be put through to the relevent department the happy soul at the other end of the telephone assured me of their ability to sort it all out.
The conversation went like this;
"You've sent me someone's direct debit instruction, it has all their bank details on it and their signature."
"What do you mean by that?"
"I mean the council has sent me someone else's direct debit instruction to their bank with all their banking details on it as well as their signature."
"If you could explain that to me I'll be able to help."
"Which part of "the council has sent me someone else's direct debit instruction to their bank with all their banking details on it as well as their signature." do you wish me to explain?"
"All of it."
"TDC has sent me a direct debit instruction which is nothing to do with me."
"Oh we wouldn't do that."
"You have done exactly that."
"Putting you through to revenue services."
The phone rang twice and then disconnected me. I surrended, but rather than sell the information to the nearest fraudster I took it to Rebecca, editor of the local rags. Maybe they'd do a story on it and then the happy soul at the other end of the phone might finally understand what actually happened.

2 Comments:

Blogger tony flaig said...

I think you should really know better, than to try and have a sensible conversation with the Thanet District Council officer class. It is my theory that there is a lot of inbreeding within the council this would explain some of the strange behaviour and lack of understanding when talking to council employees sorry officers. I think many of these people that work within the council offices are rarely allowed out into the wider world therefore you ought to make greater allowances, shame on you!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Artyblartfast said...

I live in hope eternal.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ask Statto